Monday, November 24, 2008

Capricorn 魔杰座 review

This album was suppose to be out on 9th Oct but because of some idiot who leaked the song, the release date was pushed to 15th Oct, a week later which Jay had promised more freebies.

In Malaysia however, the date the album went on sale was on 21th Oct. Fine.

My album had not come ever since and I was freaking pissed about it. I been so patient, I did not download and I avoided the mvs.

Until one day I was tempted to download. That's when I knew my patience had reach its limit.


I finally gave up and went to buy an ori album from Speedy.


Exactly, 1 month, 1 week and 1 day after the album went on sale nationwide


Anyway, skip the boring part and the whole hoohaa about the album I ordered which has not yet arrived.


I'm here to give my review on Capricorn
魔杰座 , Jay's 9th album



I'll try not to be bias ok?


1. 龍戰騎士 long zhan qi shi (dragon warrior)


this was the song that inspire the cover after the magic theme had been leaked out. I do find that it is quite similiar to 黄金甲 huang jin jia (golden armor) but it has it's own tempo which I really like. It has a good beat and it's a good song to intro the album


Rate :- 3.8/5


2. 給我ㄧ首歌的時間 gei wo yi shou ge de shi jian (spare me the time of a song)


This song has the quality of a typical Jay. It is soothing to the ear and has a powerful chorus. I like chorus that hit you straight to the heart. It is one of Jay's good ballads although his voice fell high flat at 2:50 but after that, the music falls together with his voice. The video though is kinda disappointing. It does not reflect the song.




Rate :- 4.5/5


3. 蛇舞 she wu (snake dance)


At first listen, this song is really annoying but when the second time comes around, it made you wanna dance. It has the Egyptian theme to it and Lara (from Nan Quan Mama) made the song sound sexier. It does remind me of 本草纲目ban cao gang mu (a herbalist manual). You can totally do a strip dance with his song! The dance in the video is performed very naturally, they look hot together!



Rate :- 3.8/5


4. 花海 hua hai (ocean of flower)


You can hear Jay strain in this song and some might say his vocal is not strong. I admin, he is not the best singer around but vocal aside, I could feel the song. It's one of those ballads which has a down tone and the hit point in this song is the chorus. The high notes Jay hit basically made the song sound emotional. It does have the same ending music with 白色风车 bai se feng che (white windmill) where his voice drop.


Rate :- 4/5

5. 魔術先生 mo shu xian sheng (mr magic)

The conversation in the beginning have no effect on me, I was already taken away by it when I first heard 扯 che (nonsensical). This song has the comedic feel, just like 牛仔很忙 niu zai hen mang (cowboy is busy). I don't quite like the cowboy call in the background but the line 'bu yong ma fan le' was bearable. I quite like the idea of Jay putting on a show in the video but lucky girl gets to lie in the case with him.

Rate :- 3.7/5

6. 說好的幸福呢 shuo hao de xing fu ne (where is the promised happiness?)


The fact that I have this song as my caller ringtone on my phone is enough said. This is definitely the best ballad in this album. The lyrics are easy and the emotions are in the right place. Some might get annoyed with the repeation of the word 'le' but when you sing it, it doesn't sound so bad. I love singing this song and I think it is a step ahead of 彩虹 cai hong (rainbow). The downside is only the video which does not reflect the song.




Rate :- 4.8/5


7. 蘭亭序 lan ting xu (preface to the orchid pavillion)


The zhong guo feng (Chinese traditional music) in this album. Although it does make me listen up, it did not hit on the heart like how 发如雪 fa ru xue (hair like snow) did. I like how complicated the lyrics is, how poetic it is. I especially like this line :-

若花怨蝶 你會怨著誰
ruo hua yuan die ni hui yuan zhe shui

If the flower resents the butterfly, who will you resent?


It is thought provoking and I like the video too. Clean and white with calligraphy.




Rate :- 4.3/5


8. 流浪詩人 liu lang shi ren (wandering poet)


This is not my fave type of music, the jazzy bluesy music. It is an interesting collabration with Gary though and I like how half of this song is in Taiwanese Hokkien. Not a big fan of the song though.


Rate :- 3.4/5


9. 時光機 shi guang ji (time machine)


Ahh .. the Doreamon song. How I could relate to this song. To those who wonder what is this about, if you watch Doreamon they had a drawer where the time machine is located. Just a simple happy go lucky love song. I cannot compare to 簡單愛 jian dan ai (simple love) though. Both are so sweet in their own way. This is one of the song that would put a smile on your face. The video however do consist of the characters from the Doreamon series.




Rate :- 4.3/5


10. 喬克叔叔 qiao ke shu shu (uncle joker)

First of all, I'm freaked out by all the laughing and the carnival feel, I'm afraid of clowns you see. This song is similiar to track 5 but it has a mystery feel to it. Don't quite like the 'ah ah ya yo' part. Made my imagination shifted from mystery to just cheesy or at a barn dance. The video does consist of Jay rubbing between two chicks, which is so not relevant to the video >:( . Plus the final laugh just sounds too evil!




Rate :- 3.8/5


11. 稻香 dao xiang (paddy fragrance)


First single of this album. This song goes under the category of 'teaching' songs from Jay. It gives a very peaceful feeling and makes you appreciate more of the things you have. When I first heard it, it made me appreciate Jay :) . The song was released right on time, when I was in a down mood. I also liked the pause in the middle of the song. The video brings out the atmosphere of the song too. I love the chorus which starts with this line :-


#所謂的那快樂 赤腳在田裡追蜻蜓追到累了

suo wei de na kuai le chi jiao zai tian li zhui qing ting zhui dao lei le

What is happiness? It's chasing dragonflies in the fields barefooted till we're exhausted




Rate :- 4/5


********************

Oh dear, I hope my review is ok but hey, that is my opinion. Is it worth it to pick up a copy of his album? Hey, I did the review, you do the decision !

Go buy the original one !

I can't quite pinpoint my fave Jay album because there are some songs which took my breath away, some are just ok ok and some I would skip.

My rating for this album :- 4/5

1 comments:

Misatori said...

Wah. So many MVs... >.<